All the talk about Liverpool today surrounds the possible departure of Fernando Torres and the likely names that his fee would be spent on.
He trained alone yesterday, but Torres turned up to training as normal today at 9am. The club have said nothing more, officially, on the matter since the statements that were issued late last week. He’s not for sale and he’s expected to see out his contract, the club insist.
Kenny Dalglish said at today’s press conference that he had no more to add to those statements. This doesn’t mean nothing more has happened since those statements were issued; Dalglish is just determined that Liverpool’s business will not be conducted in public.
Reports suggest that Chelsea have been warned that they will have to pay £50m for the Spanish striker but are still to improve on their rejected £35m offer from Thursday.
Meanwhile, Paul Konchesky’s brief Anfield career seems to be over. Kenny revealed this morning that the former Fulham left-back, signed by Roy Hodgson after being pursued throughout last summer, was to spend the rest of the season on loan at Nottingham Forest. Konchesky has already played for the maximum permissible two clubs this season, but with the loan described as an “emergency loan” it seems a way has been found to allow him to get away from what turned into a nightmare move for him.
Emiliano Insua’s loan won’t be recalled and Fabio Aurelio’s injury problems aren’t likely to suddenly ease which means the Reds – who’ve used Glen Johnson as left-back in recent matches – need some more options for that position. Stephen Warnock is expected to return to the club from Aston Villa.
Dalglish also announced that Danny Ayala had gone out on loan until the end of the season, in his case it’s with Derby County.
Reports emerged this morning that Newcastle United had rejected a £30m bid from a Premier League club for their striker Andy Carroll. That club is believed to be Liverpool.
Aston Villa announced that they had not received any bids for Ashley Young. The Reds were linked with a move for him, with owners of both clubs believed to have discussed the possibility of a transfer over the weekend. Villa also stated that the player was not for sale.
One player that has been signed, subject to some final formalities, is Luis Suarez. Kenny explained that Ajax still need to issue some paperwork for the Uruguayan international, who passed his medical over the weekend. Suarez will need a work permit, Kenny doesn’t expect this to be a problem.
The transfer window closes at 11pm tonight. Kenny Dalglish said there is as much chance of someone being signed as there is of someone going out.
One thought on “Torres still a Red, Konchesky off to Forest”
Reds Agree Carroll fee
The owners are surprising me O_O. All young players too. The moneyball tactics are being adopted it seems!
Comments are closed.