Ten-man Reds too good for the blues at Anfield

Barclays Premiership Result.

Liverpool 3(Neville 45 og, Luis Garcia 47, Kewell 84) Everton 1 (Cahill 61)

Liverpool: Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Riise, Luis Garcia, Gerrard, Sissoko, Alonso, Kewell, Crouch.
Subs: Dudek, Kromkamp, Fowler, Morientes, Warnock.
Booked: Gerrard 17, Alonso 23, Kewell 34
Sent off: Gerrard 18

Everton: Wright, Hibbert, Weir, Stubbs, Naysmith, Osman, Cahill, Neville, Kilbane, Beattie, McFadden.
Subs: Turner, Yobo, Ferguson, Davies, Van der Meyde.
Booked: Cahill 13, Stubbs 34, Kilbane 52, Weir 66, Ferguson 76, Neville 86, Hibbert 90          
Sent off: A Van der Meyde 74

“Referee”: P Dowd (Staffordshire)
Attendance: 44,923
Half-time: 1-0

Report from PA:
Liverpool established superiority over their neighbours with a Barclays
Premiership double as referee Phil Dowd brandished two red cards and 10
yellows in the 203rd Mersey derby.

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard was sent off after just 18 minutes and
Everton substitute Andy van der Meyde followed with 18 minutes left.

A Phil Neville own goal and strikes from Luis Garcia and Harry Kewell –
the latter a cracker from 25 yards – maintained Liverpool’s grip on a
game which saw Tim Cahill pull one back for Everton.

But this result will be a severe embarrassment for Everton who had high
hopes of European qualification after just one league defeat since
Christmas, but rarely got themselves into a game that should have been
theirs for the taking after Gerrard’s early departure.

Everton suffered a serious pre-match blow when their playmaker Mikel Arteta was ruled out with a jarred nerve in his back.

It meant Kevin Kilbane came into midfield, while Liverpool were without
full-back Djimi Traore from the side that hit seven at Birmingham in
midweek, the defender suffering a thigh injury at St Andrews. But
Kewell returned to the starting line-up.

Cahill and Mohamed Sissoko clashed before the Australian almost
capitalised on some poor defending when he turned in the box and tested
Jose Reina from eight yards.

Then James Beattie took advantage of an error from Jamie Carragher to
nudge a header towards Cahill again, and this time he blasted his
effort into the side netting.

David Weir flattened Luis Garcia and got a kick for his troubles, Dowd failing to get a grip of an always volatile game.

But Cahill’s tackle from behind on Gerrard saw the first booking and the scene was set for a constant stream of cards.

Five minutes later Gerrard was in the book for kicking the ball into the Kop after Everton were awarded a free-kick.

A minute later Liverpool’s skipper was off the pitch. His lunging
tackle on Kilbane missed ball and took player and referee Dowd showed a
second yellow and, with Gerrard already walking away, a red.

Xabi Alonso was next into Dowd’s book for a foul on Neville on 23
minutes before football broke out and Luis Garcia curled a fine effort
from the right just over Richard Wright’s bar.

It did not last long. Alan Stubbs and Kewell were then hauled out of a
penalty box melee awaiting a free-kick, to both be booked.

A minute from the break Liverpool found themselves ahead. Alonso’s
near-post corner was headed into the far side of his own net by Neville.

Liverpool would have settled for parity at the break after the previous
incidents, but 99 seconds into the second period they were remarkably
two goals to the good.

Reina’s huge clearance down the right was flicked on by Crouch to allow
Luis Garcia to clip the ball over Gary Naysmith and skip round the Scot
before lifting a neat effort over Wright and into the net.

With Everton preparing to bring on three substitutes, they managed to claw a goal back on 61 minutes.

Leon Osman’s corner from the left was met by a soaring Cahill, getting
there ahead of Crouch, to head home off the far post. The substitutes
all returned to their seats.

Dowd was kept busy booking Kilbane and Weir for fouls on Alonso and
Sissoko. From the second free kick, Alonso’s effort clipped the bar.

On 67 minutes two of those Everton’s substitutes got onto the pitch,
Duncan Ferguson replacing James McFadden and Andy van der Meyde on for

Wright made a fine save to his left to keep out a Kewell effort before
the game was reduced to 10 aside on 72 minutes when Van der Meyde was
sent off for catching Alonso in the face with his elbow as the pair
contested a high ball.

Then Ferguson became their eighth yellow card when he clattered Alonso
in the back just a couple of minutes after the incident that saw Van
der Meyde sent off.

Sami Hyypia had a header chalked off when the linesman signalled Crouch offside on 79 minutes.

Five minutes later Liverpool sealed the points when Steve Finnan fed
Kewell 25 yards out and the Australian casually launched a dipping
drive into the top corner.

Neville finally found himself in the book for a foul on Luis Garcia on
85 minutes, with Stephen Warnock replacing Kewell soon after.

Tony Hibbert was also booked, for dissent, in the dying minutes.

Liverpool v Everton
3 Goals 1
10 Shots On Target 5
7 Shots Off Target 3
12 Fouls (Conceded) 25
5 Corners 3
3 Yellow Cards 7
1 Red Cards 1