Red news round-up

Liverpool goalkeeper Chris Kirkland has suffered yet another injury in a career that seems to have been riddled with injuries all unconnected with each other. The latest injury is a break to the tip of his index finger and occurred in training at West Brom, where he’s been on loan all season. Kirkland has not played a league game for the Baggies since October, kept out of the side by other injuries and the form of Polish keeper Tomasz Kuszczak. This injury will keep him out for six weeks, meaning he’s not likely to win a place back in the West Brom side in time to push for a World Cup squad place. It also seems unlikely that West Brom will keep him on board next season, meaning a return to Anfield is almost certain for the 24-year-old.

Today sees the draw for the semi-finals of the FA Cup. Liverpool will go into the hat with Chelsea, West Ham, Charlton and Middlesbrough. Charlton and Boro drew their quarter final match last night and so that tie goes to a replay. The two semi-finals are scheduled to be played on the weekend of the 22nd and 23rd of April, and despite rumours there are no plans to stage them at Cardiff. The FA will choose neutral league venues after the draw has been made. Liverpool are “ball number 4” in the draw.

The Reds youth team now know who their final opponents will be in the FA Youth Cup. Manchester City won their semi-final over Newcastle 4-3 on aggregate, 1-1 on the night. The final is played over two legs, with dates yet to be announced awaiting agreement between the two clubs.

Some of the Reds youth team turned out for the reserves last night in a 1-1 draw with Aston Villa reserves. A bad-tempered game saw Liverpool end the match with 10 men and Villa with 9. Robbie Foy scored Liverpool’s goal after 73 minutes with the equaliser coming on 80. Lee Peltier was sent off for the Reds after retaliating to another bad tackle. Bad feeling all came about from a disgraceful tackle on Peltier in the opening minutes which should have resulted in a straight red and not a yellow. According to reserve coach Hughie McAuley the referee ruined a decent game: “Despite all that went on with the referee losing control of the game I actually thought it was a decent game and we did very well. I don’t want to say too much about the referee but there were certain things going on in the game that should have been stamped out early on. We scored a good goal very well taken by Robbie Foy after a great ball from Danny Guthrie, but unfortunately we lost concentration and let Aston Villa back into it.” For a more detailed report check out The Liverpool Way website later today.