Experimental updates on the game this evening. Hit "Refresh" to be sure of getting the latest information on the game.
- 90:00 +2:16 It’s all over. Final Score Leverkusen 1 Liverpool 3 (agg 2-6). Liverpool
leave the pitch to the strains of You’ll Never Walk alone – played over
the German speaker system. Nice touch from the beaten team.
- 90:00 +0:30 A mistake by Gerrard forces Dudek into making an excellent save. Corner Leverkusen.
- 90:00 2 minutes of stoppage time to be played.
- 88:45 Baros misses an opportunity to set Riise up, unmarked
in acres of space, by trying to set up the less-well positioned Smicer.
- 86:58 GOAL!!! Krysnowek. Leverkusen pull one back to
make the score the same as it was at Anfield. 3-1 Liverpool, 6-2 on
- 85:10 Excellent play from Warnock keeps Liverpool’s
clean-sheet intact. Warnock slid in at speed and took the ball off his
opponents foot. Corner for Leverkusen, cleared.
- 83:30 Chance for Bayer, cleared by Hyypia.
- 80:40 Dudek gets another touch of the ball with another
relatively easy save. Latest scores in the other Champions League
matches: Arsenal 1 Bayern 0 (Agg 2-3); Juventus 1 Real Madrid 0 (Agg
1-1); Monaco 0 PSV 2 (Agg 0-3).
- 78:00 Liverpool have now taken their foot off the pedal to
some extent, but to their credit it’s the first time they’ve done so
- 75:20 Leverkusen hit a poor shot straight at Dudek.
- 74:00 Steve Finnan leaves the field to be replaced by Antonio Nunez. All Liverpool’s available changes have now been made.
- 72:50 Baros inches short of beating the keeper to a through
ball from Smicer as Liverpool show form they’ve struggled to show this
- 72:00 Leverkusen have a shot at goal, but the shot blazes high over the bar.
- 69:30 John Welsh comes on for Jamie Carragher, as Benitez gives one of the stars of the season for Liverpool a rest.
- 69:00 Leverkusen make their third and final change of the evening.
- 68:00 Liverpool continue to attack.
- 66:30 GOAL!!! Baros. Excellent performance from Baros this evening, capped off with a good goal.
- 65:00 Liverpool continue to look for the third goal on the
night, but Leverkusen have kept them out for these first 20 minutes of
the second half.
- 62:20 Thundering Steven Gerrard shot saved, Baros miskicks a chance that came from the rebound.
- 61:10 Didi Hamman exits a Liverpool Champions League
fixture at Leverkusen for the second time in three years. Replaced by
Smicer, but this time circumstances are very different. Hamman has just
returned from injury.
- 59:50 Dudek makes the first save he’s needed to in the match so far, after Liverpool failed to clear a Leverkusen attack.
- 58:00 Another Leverkusen attack breaks down in the box, Liverpool break but Baros caught offside.
- 56:00 Baros not quite able to get full control of the ball inside the box, and Placente disposses him.
- 55:00 Leverkusen have a shot, on the volley, but hit into the ground and goes narrowly over the bar.
- 53:45 Liverpool’s confidence is at a level rarely seen this
season. Possession lost though due to a lack of communication between
Warnock and Hamman at a free kick. No harm done.
- 52:30 Leverkusen make their second substitution of the evening.
- 51:45 "You’ll never walk alone" rings out around the German
stadium as Liverpool go close twice, with Gerrard cross just short of
reaching Baros and Garcia shooting wide in his quest for a hat-trick.
- 49:00 Hyypia heads clear a cross from the six-yard-line.
- 47:30 Scrappy start to the second-half.
- 45:00 Second-half kicks off.
- Teams back out for the second-half.
- Other half-times: Arsenal 0-0 Bayern Munich (agg. 1-3) /
Juventus 0-0 Real Madrid (agg. 0-1) / Monaco 0-1 PSV Eindhoven (agg.
- HALF-TIME: Bayer Leverkusen 0-2 Liverpool (agg. 1-5)
- 45:00 +0:45 Some worry in the Liverpool area but ball goes out for goal-kick.
- 45:00 1 minute to be played.
- 43:30 Yellow card Bierofka.
- 42:00 Baros receives an elbow in the face from a Leverkusen
player. Baros has nose-bleed as result. Linesman seems to be afraid to
help the referee as once again this incident took place yards away from
- 41:00 Liverpool free kick by Gerrard aimed at Hyypia who seemed to be pushed over in the box for another turned-down penalty appeal.
- 40:10 Leverkusen penalty appeal turned down. Good tackle by Warnock.
- 37:50 Luis Garcia denied a hat-trick by excellent work from Leverkusen keeper. Liverpool corner.
- Extra time is not now possible in this game. Leverkusen must
score 5 goals to go through. Liverpool now have 2 away goals to
- 34:00 Luis Garcia fouled, Liverpool free-kick.
- 32:30 Leverkusen narrowly head wide.
- 31:40 GOAL!!! Luis Garcia scores a second from Biscan’s knock-down from the corner.
- 31:10 Gerrard forces corner.
- 30:00 Garcia shoots wide.
- 27:05 GOAL!!! Luis Garcia scores from a cross from Gerrard
after earlier corner was cleared. 1-0 on the night, 4-1 on aggregate to
Liverpool. Leverkusen now need 3 goals to force extra-time, or 4 to win.
- 26:20 Excellent shot from Gerrard saved by Leverkusen keeper. Wonderful play between Baros and Gerrard. Corner Liverpool.
- 24:00 Franza fluffs glorious chance for Leverkusen by
mishitting his shot. Let-off for Liverpool. Another shot from
Leverkusen on-target but saved comfortably.
- 23:00 Leverkusen have chance in box but miskicked by Leverkusen.
Baros bursts into box and almost finds Gerrard with cut-back.
- 22:30 Quarter of the game gone, Liverpool slightly ahead of
Leverkusen in terms of control of the game and chances, but still a
close contest so far on the night. Still no score, 3-1 aggregate to
- 20:45 Gerrard bursts through midfield to put Baros through.
Baros falls in the box but no penalty given. Less clear than last
- 18:15 Corner cleared, Liverpool back on the attack.
- 17:30 Hyppia fouls opponent on byline just outside the box. Free kick turned behind for a corner to Leverkusen.
- 16:00 Corner wasted.
- 15:30 Hyypia forced to boot into touch from a good cross into the box. Corner Leverkusen.
- 10:55 Penalty appeal turned down. Baros brought down in box – replays clearly show Leverkusen failed to get the ball.
- 9:40 Backpass to Dudek causes concern briefly
- 7:15 Baros runs into box but dispossesed.
- 6:45 Promising run to edge of box by Riise, but dispossed.
- 3:50 Baros has shot on target but too weak to beat ‘keeper.