With just a few more weeks to go before the transfer window get opened up again, the chairman of French side Marseille has possibly stirred up a storm again over Djibril Cisse.
Speaking to L’Est Republicain today, Papa Diouf claims that Marseille are in with a chance of taking Cisse back to France on loan for the rest of the season, with a view to the deal being made permanent after that. Asked if the 24-year-old was on his way to the Stade Velodrome, Diouf said: "It’s a definite possibility. Djibril is unhappy with the amount of time he’s playing for Liverpool, and has Marseille in his heart."
Diouf indicated that Cisse has been pushing himself for a move to Marseille, saying: "He has clearly expressed his wish to join us. We are looking for a good-value striker, so his wish isn’t going to fall on deaf ears. For us Djibril Cisse would be the ideal player to reinforce our squad."
Diouf also hinted at talks with Liverpool having already taken place: "There is contact. A six-month loan with an option to extend his stay if all goes well is possible. However this is a complicated situation and we have to take it step by step".
Diouf’s words seem to contradict what was said at in the Liverpool camp last week. Rafael Benitez claimed that Cisse was not going to be leaving in January. Speaking on Friday, the Liverpool boss said: "Selling Cisse would not make sense in January. We are still in the Champions League. Where would any club find a replacement for their top scorer who was not cup tied in European competition? It would not make sense for anyone to sell a player of such quality in the transfer window with the European Cup still to be contested."
It’s interesting to note that Benitez is not ruling out a departure for Cisse at the end of the season, but other than that it’s unlikely to see Cisse move in the January transfer window unless the player himself demands a transfer.