Finnan awaits decision on dangerous driving charge

Liverpool’s Irish international defender Steve Finnan was arrested in April over a driving incident that resulted in the death of a retired seaman it emerged yesterday.

The arrest was on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. The arrest was on April 11th following an incident on January 27th. In that incident Finnan is said to have been in a collision in his black Range Rover on West Derby Road, Tuebrook, Liverpool. This resulted in the death of an 81-year-old pedestrian. Finnan was released on police bail pending further inquiries.

There was an inquest into the pensioner’s death at Liverpool Coroner’s Court yesterday, where Liverpool Coroner Andre Rebello adjourned proceedings pending the outcome of the police investigations.

The pensioner that died was Henry Stuart Nelson, a retired merchant seaman from the Elm Park area of Liverpool. He was crossing the road near Boundary Lane and died five weeks after the incident.

The coroner described Mr Nelson’s death as "a tragic loss", adding: "Mr Nelson received very severe head injuries as a result of the collision and was taken to the Royal University Hospital where he remained until his death on March 3. "We must wait to see whether serious criminal charges are brought before continuing with the inquest. It depends on what is decided at that time."

Finnan had been driving on the east bound carriageway of West Derby Road, away from the city centre, when the accident took place.

The hearing was adjourned until July 4. A Collision Investigator Report was launched following the accident, the findings of which are currently being considered by the Crown Prosecution Service.

A Merseyside Police spokeswoman said: "A 29-year-old man from Liverpool was arrested on April 11 on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. He was bailed pending further enquiries, to appear at a police station on Wednesday June 29. The CPS are considering the case – in the meantime the inquest into the death of the 81-year-old has been adjourned. The investigation into the collision is continuing. The driver of the car has been co-operating fully with the police."