Ex-Liverpool owner speaks. Fans laugh.

Former Liverpool owner Tom Hicks put on an astonishing show for the Sky Sports cameras in Texas on Friday in the aftermath of losing his 50% share in the club to new owners NESV.

Epic Joke Tom HicksIn the interview he lists various people he feels were to blame for the mess of the past three years. (Clue: None of it was his fault.)

To much mirth online around the world he also bemoans a campaign from “militant” “internet terrorists”.

As he sits licking his wounds this weekend it’s unlikely he’ll be able to accept his own part in his downfall, and with him expected to relaunch another bid for damages it’s unlikely he’ll say what he truly thinks of his now ex-partner George Gillett.

In short he needs to think about what caused RBS to insist on the appointments of both Christian Purslow and Martin Broughton to run the club, find investors and ultimately find buyers. He needs to think about why nobody else would take the debt on instead.
Continue reading Ex-Liverpool owner speaks. Fans laugh.

Full NESV statement on LFC takeover

Liverpool’s new owners have issued a statement on the official website of the club they now own.

New England Sports Ventures became the owners of Liverpool Football Club on 15th October 2010.

There are lots of questions still to be asked and suggestions to be made – but the statement gives fans an early idea of what their ownership should bring.

Here it is in full:
Continue reading Full NESV statement on LFC takeover

Liverpool Football Club has new owners

New England Sports Ventures have replaced the Old Epic Swindlers.

Tom Hicks and George Gillett have been hurt more than they hurt us. But they can hurt elsewhere.

Remember this day. Remember this time. 4pm, October 15th 2010.

They’ve gone. At last. We can finally move on.

To our new owners:

Welcome to Anfield.

We’ve a lot of questions for you. A lot of suggestions. But they can wait.

Tonight we celebrate!

Congratulations.

Here’s a song for you to learn.

Follow us on Twitter for regular updates and opinion on Liverpool FC:

@anfieldroad

@jimboardman

Hicks uses Texas court in attempt to block LFC sale

At 8:00pm tonight John W Henry walked past reporters assembled outside the offices of Liverpool FC’s lawyers
and said he was confident the sale of LFC to his NESV group would soon be done.

As time went on it seemed odd that what was surely a formality was now taking so long. Two hours later a statement had been issued by Hicks, or specifically by “The owners of Liverpool Football Club”, stating that a temporary restraining order (similar to a UK injunction) had been issued preventing the sale of the club from going through.

The judgement states that a hearing will now take place on October 25th. Full statement follows:
Continue reading Hicks uses Texas court in attempt to block LFC sale

Goodbye Tom and George

Goodbye Tom and GeorgeThey said it would be a big day. And it was a big day. Very big.

Yes, there are still a lot of questions to be asked. No, it’s not the end of all our troubles.

But right now it’s time to celebrate. The questions can wait, at least for now. And the answers to the questions will help us deal with our troubles.

All those efforts from all those people have all paid off.

Tom Hicks and George Gillett have gone.

There’s an outside chance they’ll launch an appeal – but there’s little chance they’ll win it. So that means in the space of a few hours Liverpool should have new owners.

We went to bed still under the reign of Tom Hicks and George Gillett, a club that wasn’t in administration but had to be run as if it were. RBS saw to that, until they saw the chances of LFC paying their interest charges were looking more than a little flaky.

Tonight we’ll go to bed, we hope, knowing that those days are gone.

Tom Hicks and George Gillett have gone.

They’ve gone, and they can’t come back.

Keep saying it. It’s hard to believe we can.

What we need now, to avoid even the slightest whiff of a repeat, is a return to one old-fashioned value that has been lacking from Anfield for far too long.

Honesty.

It doesn’t take any explanation to understand what means. It’s not to do with little white lies about the fitness of a key player ahead of a big game; it’s about being straight with each other.

That’s club to fan, fan to club and fan to fan.

We can take bad news. We take it better when we don’t have to unwrap layers of nonsense to get to the truth. We’re not greedy, try us.

And we need to show we’re not greedy by listening to that bad news – if it comes – and taking the explanations on board.

We might even be able to help.

But that’s something for another day.

Tonight we celebrate.

Tom Hicks and George Gillett have gone.

Keep saying it.

Liverpool FC issue statement following court victory

Royal Bank of Scotland won their action against Tom Hicks and others in the High Court this morning.

Liverpool Football Club issued the following statement after hearing was over:

We are delighted that the court has clarified the issue of board composition and has removed the uncertainty around the sale process.

We will now be consulting with our lawyers and planning for a board meeting tonight. A further statement will be made in due course.

Continue reading Liverpool FC issue statement following court victory

Verdict announced: RBS beat Hicks and Gillett

The Royal Bank of Scotland have won their case against Tom Hicks, George Gillett and others in the High Court in London.

We await clarification of the details and the implications for the sale of the club to NESV, including information on whether there are any grounds for appeal by the club’s outgoing owners.

The Judge is reported to have said: “The owners do not have an absolute right to veto a sale.”

We’ll keep providing updates as soon as we get them via Twitter, please follow us at:

Anfield Road@anfieldroad
Jim Boardman@JimBoardman

Wednesday expected to be big day in court for Reds

As reported earlier, the court battle between Liverpool FC’s co-owners and the Royal Bank of Scotland was escalated by the bank earlier this morning in the wake of what Anfield Road understands was overnight counter-action by Tom Hicks.

The story last night was that today’s session – which was actually RBS v Hicks and others – was little more than a discussion between lawyers to discuss the process and to agree times and dates. RBS had taken this action because Hicks had tried to interfere with the board, something that RBS and LFC contend he doesn’t have any right to do.

We were informed this afternoon that Tom Hicks had counter-sued Martin Broughton, Christian Purslow, Ian Ayre and RBS overnight, claiming they had not acted appropriately in terms of accepting the bid from NESV.

As a result, what had been expected to be a low-key minutes-long meeting of lawyers became a full-blown battle between the various legal representatives appointed by not only RBS and Hicks but also by Liverpool FC and other interested parties.

The day in court ended late this afternoon with a decision that the verdict will be announced at 10am tomorrow.

Anfield Road understands that Martin Broughton, Christian Purslow and Ian Ayre will all be in attendance at the court tomorrow.  Tomorrow is being seen as the big day supporters have been waiting for and “could be an important step forward for LFC – if the judge rules in favour of RBS.
Continue reading Wednesday expected to be big day in court for Reds

What changed overnight to see Reds board attend court?

Last night Anfield Road reported in good faith that Martin Broughton and the other English members of the Kop/LFC boards would not be at the High Court today for the hearings related to Liverpool FC and the dispute with co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

We’d been passed this information by a very reliable source and a source we trust completely.

This was later backed up when Spirit of Shankly cancelled arrangements to travel down to London to be there for the hearing.

When we learned this morning that Martin Broughton and Christian Purslow had arrived at the High Court we were understandably confused and disappointed. We still had no reason to doubt the intentions of our source – and our source was also confused (and angry) as to why two of the board had actually attended the court after all.

The story last night was that today’s trial – which is actually RBS v Hicks and others – was little more than a discussion between lawyers to discuss the process and to agree times and dates. RBS had taken this action because Hicks had tried to interfere with the board, something that RBS and LFC contend he doesn’t have any right to do.

Although the hearing is important to LFC’s overall battle against its owners it wasn’t seen as the main event compared to what’s to come later in the week. For fans to take the time off work and go to the expense of travelling for what was expected to be a short meeting (a matter of minutes) between lawyers would have been a waste of time and money and best left until that next hearing.

Martin Broughton, Christian Purslow and Ian Ayre would also not be attending.

It has now emerged that a major change took place during the night.

We have been informed that Tom Hicks has now counter-sued Martin Broughton, Christian Purslow, Ian Ayre and RBS with the claim that they had not acted appropriately in terms of accepting the bid from NESV.

This means a straightforward procedural hearing has now escalated – RBS taking the decision this morning after legal advice and consideration throughout the night. Today’s hearing is now much bigger than expected.

Martin Broughton and Christian Purslow were already in London and so the decision was taken at short notice that both would attend court. Ian Ayre was still in Liverpool but will be in court when LFC’s case (at which he’ll be a witness) takes place later in the week.

It has been pointed out that Broughton and Purslow are still only there as observers for today’s hearing. This is RBS’s trial, not Liverpool FC’s.

Anfield Road has been assured that the message relayed last night was not done so in an attempt to dissuade supporters from being there for the LFC trial. We have been assured that this is quite the opposite to what is wanted.

As soon as the date, time and location of the trial are known the details will be released and relayed to supporters.

The message Anfield Road has heard is quite clear – if fans are going to take time off work and spend their hard-earned cash travelling to the court to show their support for the club, please don’t turn up on the wrong day.

That was the message last night and it remains the message today.